Paying for a sermon?!?

I subscribe to all kinds of email lists. I certainly do not check or read them all the emails I get from these lists - in fact most of them end up deleted without a second glance ... But every now and then if something catches my eye and I have a little extra time, then glancing through an email does at times results in some helpful information

One list I subscribe to is Christianity Today's Preaching.com.

I wonder, is it just me who is rather disturbed that it is a site that charges money to listen / read good sermons?

The email heading caught my attention:

The Good Samaritan Like You've Never Heard It: Preaching Today


So I thought, hmmm... interesting ...

And then even more interesting was the first line after the date


Wednesday, May 02, 2012
Featured sermon: The Parable of the Good Samaritan, by D. A. Carson

I know DA Carson is an excellent expository preacher

So I click on the link ...

http://www.preachingtoday.com/sermons/outlines/2012/april/goodsamaritan.html

And this is what comes up ...



SERMON

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

Are you seeking self-justification or God's justification?
Average Rating:   [see ratings/reviews]
Audio Sample: 
Read Full Transcript

Introduction

I. The story as a whole

II. The first question: What must I do to inherit eternal life?

III. The struggle for self-justification

IV. The second question: Who is my neighbor?

V. Jesus' question: To whom must I be a neighbor?

Conclusion

D. A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois, and author of numerous books, including Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus(Crossway).
D. A. Carson: Follow | Search



Ok. Nice ... but then this ...


To access this sermon, you must be a member of PreachingToday.com.
If you ARE a member of PreachingToday.com, please log in …
If you are NOT a member of PreachingToday.com …
Please click here to see our membership options. As a member, you will be able to have access to all of the content on PreachingToday.com.




And this ....

PreachingToday.com Membership Options

Welcome! PreachingToday.com will inspire you to create fresh, biblically-grounded sermons.
Choose an option below to get started.
Access to PreachingToday.com FeaturesFree Registration*
$0.00
Monthly Membership
$9.95
best
value
Yearly Membership
$69.95
First 30 days free!
A $49+ savings!
REGISTER NOWJOIN NOWJOIN NOW
Create AlertsFollow Preachers, and use the My Cabinet tool to save and file your favorite content.
YesYesYes
11,935 fresh and timely sermon illustrations
YesYes
1,078 of today's best sermons—in transcript and audio form
YesYes
673 articles to further develop your preaching skills
YesYes
Hundreds of sermon-series ideas on relevant preaching topics
YesYes
REGISTER NOWJOIN NOWJOIN NOW
* Free registration needed for non-members to make store purchases


I know we all have to make a living. I know publishers sell books containing sermons, and outlines, and illustrations.
BUT isn't this a little bit overboard? 
I also realize that a sister website sells Bible studies!

Would I buy a book of collected sermons? Oh yes I would and have if I think the preacher is going to bless and inspire me. My favourite book of sermons is the "Best of Peter Marshall".
And commentary series like the BST are in a real way expository sermons. 

Would I buy a book on sermon outlines? Oh yes and I have. My favourite is Warren Wiersbe's Outlines on the OT. Helpful to inspire me and kick start some of my sermons when I have mental blocks

And would I buy a Bible study book / guide (ok so I am off on a tangent - but that is just me :-). Oh yes, most of us use them for group Bible studies.

Ok, perhaps I am being unfair as I do remember buying audio cassettes of sermons, and later with advancing technology, teaching CDs and /or DVDs on particular topics.
Maybe I just got to get used to the idea of purchasing stuff using this even more advanced level of technology - internet downloads ...

And again maybe it is just an issue of "value for money" for me - one of the foremost frugal pastors :-) Paying USD 7.95 for a sermon seems plain ridiculous

But then again perhaps that's the whole point! Good marketing? Why pay $7.95 for one sermon when you can pay $9.95 a month for a thousand sermons and many other goodies, or better still $69.95 a year? 

Will I pay to sign up? NO :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings