Ten books for Ten dollars

After my morning visitation cum brunch with a "former church member", I passed by a $1 book sale run by the Lions club of New Lynn (which is a suburb in West Auckland). So I made a detour and went to check out the books.

Last time I went to this sale I bought a couple of books - nothing much of interest to me as the bulk of the books are fiction novels.But this time I found a few interesting books amongst the pile of books and magazines.

Ended up with ten books. Is it worth spending the money on? I think so as if I do gain one thing out of each book, I think it's a great investment. I saw a few Star Trek novels and Part 2 of the Fellowship of the Rings! But did not buy them as I already have the Lord of the Rings trilogy and it won't be a priority for me to read Star Trek novels - would rather borrow graphic novels from he local library :-)

But here's what I bought ...

3 cook books :-) 2 books on mirco wave cooking. As this year I want to work on learning some desserts, this seemed like a good way to work on some fast recipes. Saw a few that looked interesting in one book, and thought, why not get a second book as well? Interestingly one is a Sanyo book and another a Toshiba book, so I think they were books that came with the microwaves ... The third book' title caught my eye "Recipes from the Pacific Rim" - regional specialities from West Coast of  USA, Mexico and Hawaii ... crab wontons look yummy ....

Then I bought two books on gardening - "Gardeners guide to Perennial". Looks a bit too complicated a book for me but since I started planting some perennials last spring and they turned out pretty well, thought it would be a good reference guide to have handy. The other is a step by step guide to the Flower Garden. I hope this will come in handy if I have a little extra time this year to try and beautify a test section of my little garden plot.

I bought a book on Buddhism "The Buddha's Ancient Path"  by a Sri Lankan monk and scholar. Looks to be a good reference book.

Then an interesting book on scientific facts - fun contemporary layout - like one of the dummies book. Catchy title: "Munching maggots, Noah's Flood and TV heart attacks, and other catclysmic science moments Looks to be fun easy reading and educational general knowledge.

Bought a heavy scholarly book "Jerusalem: a city and its future" published by the Jerusalem Institute for Israel studies. Fairly recent publication too - 2002. Looks very interesting and though I doubt I would be spending a lot of time reading the book cover to cover, the two chapters on the Temple Mount is something I hope to read soon. Spoke to a young Jew recently (looks after the Jewish library I am a member of) late last year and he told me something that piqued my interest. Serious religious Jews do not visit the Temple Mount! Not so much a political reason but a religious one. It interests me to find out more about the reasons and implications.


Last two books - took me by surprise - The Abingdon Preaching Annual 1998! Nice :-) And "The Magical Math book" by Bob Longe. Definitely worth the money.

Okay, going to stop now and do a little reading. Yeah NZ life is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings