Spider-man - American Son and other ramblings

I'm back at work and looks like full steam ahead already. The last week has been emotionally tiring as I can't seem to get Malaysia out of my mind ... so it is good to get down to doing more positive things.

It's not yet 9.30 AM and I've already had the pleasure to have had 2 good conversations with two non Christians that were beyond polite conversations about things like the weather! I make mention of non Christians simply because as a pastor, deeper conversations tend to be with Christians. so it is a thrill for me to be accepted and be allowed (even invited) into more intimate conversations with those outside my faith. It's a great start to my week!

I am staring at a bunch of things I have to do - admin (planning involving activities) , sermon preparation, visitation and ministry correspondence and I decided that instead I shall blog on spider-man and then do my other things :-)

The other graphic novel I borrowed (that I mentioned in a post sometime back) was "The Amazing Spider-man: American Son".

The story lines are getting better and better. SOME little SPOILERS AHEAD ....

This one is about the messed up relationships between / among Norman Osborn his son Harry, Harry's girl friend, Lily Hollister and of course Peter Parker and Spider-man.
No one knows Peter Parker is spider-man hence even more complications as Harry and Peter are best friends and consider themselves brothers (as both have no siblings) but Harry hates spider-man. Norman no longer knows Peter is spider-man and both still hate each other. Norman is all put to kill Spider-man and can't figure out why spider-man is so personally involved and protective of Harry.

Norman wants Harry to become the son he can be proud of and despises what Harry is because he has been unable to live up to his expectations. So he concocts a plan to turn Harry into the next great American hero (the heart of America) to replace the deceased Captain America (but on his terms of course and by manipulation). Harry hates his father and yet wants to please his father ....

Loads of fight scenes, memorable conversations and twists and turns as well as incredible sacrifices by both Harry and Peter because of their love for others and both find themselves betrayed.

MAJOR SPOILER AHEAD!!! ...

After a heated battle, Harry has beaten Norman (American Son versus American Patriot) and is going to kill Norman.

Peter (as a half dead, barely able to stand Spider-man) puts his hand on Harry's shoulder as he raise his hand to deliver the final blow.

H: You can't stop me.

P: No, dude, I can't even take my hand off your shoulder or I'll fall on my face. But ...

P: Don't aim for the head. It has to be the neck. Pop that bad boy clean off ...

H: What are you doing?

P: I'm just saying ... I think he can survive acute head trauma. Goblin juice. I don't know ... haven't you thought this through?

H: Shut up.

P: He would have. I'll be t he knows five ways to kill you, even in that suit (i.e that Harry is wearing). Fifteen ways to do me...

P: Detailed plans ... probably little drawings too ... with X's instead of eyes ...

H: What the hell are you doing?!

P: Pointing out that a man like Norman Osborn knows exactly how to get what he wants through murder, torture, sheer force of his demented will. And id you kill him ... you'll finally become the son he, he's always wanted.

P: You've worked so hard, Harry, to do the right thing in your life ... you risked your life to save me ... a man you hate ... kill him, and everything you've built in your life goes away. I promise you.

N: HA! Everything he's "built"? A failing coffee shop and a few months of half-assed "sobriety"? You have low standards ...

P: You're not your father Harry. You never have to live life on his terms ever again. It's your choice.


* And the final scene for this part of the story is in the graphic on the right :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings