Scott McKnight's Top Ten Books on Leadership (out of Ur)

Taken from Out of Ur ... I love this line from his opening paragraph ... :-)

So, I offer to you a list of my top ten books for leaders, and none of the titles of these books have the word “leader” or “leadership” in it.

I think some of his choice of books are "out of my league" ... at least hopefully for my current stage in life. I am comforted that I at least have read some of the books on his list. :-)

p/s Am celebrating by blogging a bit because I got a lot of work done this morning!! :-)

October 20, 2009

Scot McKnight's Top 10 Leadership Books

The best books for leaders you won't find at your next ministry conference.

What makes a leader? Ideas. Courage. Contact with great thinkers. What makes a Christian leader? Great ideas, courage, and contact with great thinkers shaped by the gospel. So, I offer to you a list of my top ten books for leaders, and none of the titles of these books have the word “leader” or “leadership” in it. Some of these are overtly Christian classics; others are not. These books have the ability to swell the chest, flood the mind, and reshape how we see the world around us – and a gospel-reshaping of these great works can inspire a leader to new levels.

From the classical world, though one could choose all sorts of great works, I recommend a soaking in Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, to see how the great philosopher constructed a set of ethics that shaped the Western world. Homer told the story of Odysseus and Virgil in The Aeneid. Homer’s story came into the Roman world and gave to all of us the power of a journey into ideas and ideals, sanctifying place and history. Dante took Homer and Virgil to the next level in his Divine Comedy, and if you follow him all the way down into the inferno, up through purgatory and then climb into the swirling glorious presence of God you will find new dimensions to life’s journey.

Click HERE for the rest of the article.


Comments

  1. cool list! thanks for sharing! it's funny, but because of my work, i've put aristotle's nicomachean ethics and nietzsche's genealogy of morals on my "i really hope to read these soon" list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings