The Task of Reconciliation (Henri Nouwen) and quick ramblings

The Task of Reconciliation

What is our task in this world as children of God and brothers and sisters of Jesus? Our task is reconciliation. Wherever we go we see divisions among people - in families, communities, cities, countries, and continents. All these divisions are tragic reflections of our separation from God. The truth that all people belong together as members of one family under God is seldom visible. Our sacred task is to reveal that truth in the reality of everyday life. 

Why is that our task? Because God sent Christ to reconcile us with God and to give us the task of reconciling people with one another. As people reconcile with God through Christ we have been given the ministry of reconciliation" (see: 2 Corinthians 5:18). So whatever we do the main question is, Does it lead to reconciliation among people?Hope you had a blessed Christmas! 

My family will be back tomorrow after 3 weeks of separation. Solitude has been good but interestingly in the midst of the solitude, there has been a "touch of loneliness". Yes, God is all sufficient in Christ. I have no doubts about that. But it is also equally true that we are made for each other - for family and community.

I purposely kept to myself as much as possible when I began my leave last week, though I had some pastoral matters that made me break my "retreat" from community, and there was the replacement caroling engagement on the 23rd, and of course the wonderful BBQ yesterday at Chin and Elizabeth's (had to make a much needed exception for Christmas day, right? :-)). And with FB and internet connection, I was still "connected" to others via cyber world. And of course the was the telephone - spoke to my wife practically every day. But nevertheless it has still been a good reflective experience for me. Did not get to do half of the things on my to do list but I think that's okay as well. More reflections on this another day ....

Am looking forward to worship in an hour and a half, and yes, back to my pulpit responsibilities. It is good to be a part of a community of God's people and to be back actively doing the job of helping reconcile people to Christ!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings