Ramblings on a quiet yet "heavy" day

It's a quiet day today. Basically sitting in the office working on 2 upcoming sermons and 2 pastor's notes. But it's "heavy" in the sense that it involves Bible reading and reflection. I'm working on a sermon series I have titled "Reflections on Jesus' Parables (very unimaginative I know - but that's me :-) ... I started a month ago on The Parable of the Sower and the next two is on The Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin, and the Prodigal Son. I am enjoying re-reading the Parables (trying to do this afresh even though it is hard as they are so familiar) and it has been a blessing especially since for many years now I have been freed from worrying that I am not interpreting them correctly! :-)

BTW, this was due to my inner conflict where I never agreed my heart and head with the "principle" (hammered into me back in my B.Th days in the 1980s) that  a parable has to have only one main point! I am so glad for Craig Blomberg's book "Interpreting the Parables". And I am so glad the Lectionary NT readings are from the book of Acts as I love stories and so it makes my preparation of pastor's notes so much more exciting for me :-)

For more than a week now I have been feeling extremely tired. I could almost say even "exhausted" on certain days. Basically have not been sleeping well. I am glad though that my restless leg syndrome has not been acting up. But my sleep in general has not been restful - I dream and dream and dream and dream and wake up tired. My eyes too seem extremely tired and I even have to at times take naps before dinner (which is strange). Too many things on my mind I guess.... and I think because most of them are sad things (most of which cannot be mentioned as it is P&C stuff). Perhaps it is also because they are sad things that I have no control over and it is in my subconscious thoughts?

One though that bothers me a lot is the state of Malaysian politics. Perhaps I should "fast" from reading any news about Malaysia!

Philippians 4:6-7 comes to mind. Perhaps if I prayed more, then I might dream less? :-)
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

Outside, it's starting to drizzle but it is so light, it is not even close to a gentle spray of water. Nice working weather for the guy who is putting in a gate for our church house / office. Since I moved out and the girls moved in upstairs, there's been a lot of unwanted visitors. *sigh* having a gate is another bad sign of the changing social conditions in Auckland.

On the lighter side as I contemplate the changing world ... :-)

The Other Coast - April 14, 2010

Working Daze - April 9, 2010

Comments

  1. hahaha, then you might wake up praying like me! i don't dream much but every morning i wake up in the middle of desperate prayers. on some level, there is spiritual work going on but it isn't much fun. maybe ppl with our personalities just aren't fated to sleep well??? i'm thinking of going back to using L-theanine. haven't had to use it for a long time now but maybe i should go back. sigh, i just realize that my source of stress is my own life while your source of stress is from caring for others. :(

    i'm glad i don't have restless leg though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings