It's earth day! ramblings

It's Earth Day today ... yet another day created to highlight the many problems facing our world. Interested to know more, click HERE. I like the idea of practical action to highlight the crisis the physical earth is facing,
However for me, and I know it is not very PC, it's just another day. I just can't keep up with all the specially assigned days to highlight specific problems. I have enough of a headache as it is with Valentines Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day and Children's Day.

What's my problem? I suppose it is simply that I get tired of the commercialization of certain days (Valentines Day and Mothers Day for example) or of some making a big deal out of a special day but once the day is over, it's back to the regular way of life.

The earth hour "thingy" some time back is for me an example. All the insistence by some to switch of the lights for an hour to conserve energy. And what happens after that? I know I sound cynical but I find that the majority of the people I see who want me to join in this PC act are doing it because it is the "in thing" but there is no real change in their lifestyle. Is sitting in the dark for an hour and chatting using torchlights actually help the "green" cause? I pointed out to some that hour that their torch batteries will end up in the landfill causing more problems than their use of electricity for the hour. I relented of course but pointed out that I have been using for over 10 years the same rechargeable torch light (kinetic energy not electricity).

I find it disturbing that I know of people who will join a group in cleaning up a river (community project - it's cool and PC) but will not make the effort to conserve electricity and water (everlasting hot showers), switch off the lights when they leave a room, diligently sort and recycle the plastics, glass and paper etc. I think changing mobiles (called "upgrading") every year or so is a joke as we all know where the old phones end up. One day of doing something green will make no difference if there is no change in attitude and lifestyle.

Of course I know that one major reason for such a day as Earth Day is to bring awareness. And so for that I say WELL DONE! But trouble with me is that I am getting a little cynical as I age. *sigh* So help change my cynicism and check out the site and start with something (however small) and make an attitude and lifestyle change.

But before God, I will do my best to do my part. I will compost, will work harder on my vegetable garden the next season, take care of my three trees, conserve water when I shower and brush my teeth, and when I wash up. Recycle as much water as I can (for reuse in my garden), try to use more energy saving light bulbs (which now I hear is being criticized as not green). I will be as diligent as I can in sorting out my recycle-ables.  I will try to walk instead of drive (if it is not too far and time permits). In my cooking, I will keep working on  minimizing the energy used, and maximise the energy that is being used. I do crazy things like switch off the stove top 5 minutes before I plan to take off a pot rather than waste the 5 minutes of heat that lingers on. (I have an electric stove top).

But then again, if I want to be cynical about my own actions, I can say it is more about being stingy and saving money not earth's resources! :-)

Okay better move on to something more positive?

I like this blog post where the writer makes this point: My sense is that we’re singing fewer hymns that celebrate creation, not just on Earth Sunday but throughout the year. 

Here's a nice one! - God of wonders (Christ Tomlin)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings