Ramblings on "Why I don't tweet"

Nice article on "Why I don't tweet" by Skye Jethani

Some months ago I sat down for breakfast with Ed Stetzer while we were both in Phoenix for a conference. Afterwards Ed “tweeted” about our meal together and commented that for some inexplicable reason “Skye isn’t on Twitter.” He gave me some playful grief about it on our drive to the conference, and since then others have asked why I don’t Tweet as well. So I decided it was time to finally show my cards.


ONE

First of all, I don’t believe Twitter is evil, wrong, or in any way immoral. And I’m not condemning my many friends who love to Tweet. But it’s not for me. Here are the top 10 reasons why I don’t use Twitter (not that there’s anything wrong with it).

My life really isn’t that interesting (and in most cases, neither is yours). Unless you are “The Most Interesting Man in the World” from the Dos Equis commercials, I really don’t care what you’re doing at any particular moment. Let’s be honest, most of life is mundane, ordinary, and routine. I’d rather keep the veil of mystery over my life so that outsiders can construct a far more fascinating picture of my existence with their imaginations.

TWO
I don’t like the taste of my own foot. Twitter enables otherwise intelligent people to communicate really foolish things to far too many people much too rapidly. In other words, it’s very easy to Tweet and regret. The first thought that comes to my mind is rarely the thought I want others to see. What can I say? I’m still a Christian under construction.

THREE
You cannot delete a Tweet. Last year ABC News anchor Terry Moran posted this Tweet: “Pres. Obama just called Kanye West a ‘jackass’ for his outburst at VMAs when Taylor Swift won. Now THAT’S presidential.” Moran deleted the Tweet almost immediately when we discovered the President’s comment was intended to be off-the-record. It was too late. Thousands of people had already copied the post. ABC News has issued apologies and statements about the mishap. Twittering can take a moment, but the regret can last a lifetime.

For the rest of the article, click HERE

Off the top of my head I have a few more personal reasons to add ...

1. I blog and I think that is more than enough on my part to share my thoughts publicly.

2. I have enough trouble already blocking dozens of facebook applications and invitations and use facebook sparingly. There is to me already too much trivial junk on facebook that are time wasters. *I have my own personal "guidelines" on how I use facebook so I am the boss and not the application!

3. I think I can spend my valuable time a lot better than learn to "tweet" (okay the author did mention this so it is an overlap but it does show I agree very strongly) and get sucked in by yet another "in thing". So many have died obscure deaths (or will soon die) that I can't even remember their names now, and I am glad I never used them....

4. I think that it is twitter and facebook as well is generally actually pretty superficial in terms of real communication and is actually in a real way rather impersonal. "Cyber community" is to me an oxymoron as most often, there is no real depth in communication and care.

5. I am not a bird! :-)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings