Ramblings on my mixed Kiwi Christmas holiday season

I think I have become more "kiwi" this Christmas holiday season ... I have always been fascinated with how things kind slow down here during mid December and January and how so many people disappear for their annual Christmas holiday breaks. Even church attendance drops as members take off for their holidays. Then there's the frantic holiday shopping sprees to take advantage of the huge Christmas and the Boxing Day sales. As I came to NZ in late Jan 2007 and went back to Malaysia with the family in 2007, I was not affected in 2007. In 2008, well, I was still in my super savings and frugal mode - with the purchase of a house and a whole lot of other commitments. Christmas holiday season was pretty quiet for me.

Then came 2009 and with my mum visiting and planning to stay for 5 weeks plus (and over Christmas too) ... and I knew it was the ideal time to experience a typical Kiwi Christmas holiday season. So with money saved and time blocked out ... we went for 2 holiday breaks - Rotorua as a base earlier in the month and a just before Christmas, a camping holiday. And also went to check out some Christmas and Boxing Day sales. Interesting experience!

I have never spent so much money in a month in my entire life (getting a car and paying the house down payments does not count :-)) and I found it liberating. Perhaps this is a good once a year thing to do. For those of you who know how stingy I am when it comes to spending money (unless it is ministry) ... I found a way to spend without feeling "guilty" .... Here's how I did it. I set aside the rebate money the government gives back to me for my donations to charitable organizations (church is one of them)!! I look at the rebate as extra money and a kind of "reward" for my giving! :-)
Okay ... what did I personally get myself for Christmas?

1. The satisfaction of going away on a real family holiday that is not paid for by someone else (like my mother or brother) or a half holiday (mostly work but some free time) that has to be negotiated as a condition for being a camp speaker.

2. I bought myself a $30 itunes card (to buy stuff for my itouch Christmas present).

3. A new 20 inch TV for our room (with a free DVD player) so I can watch my magic DVDs in peace! I really want to block time next year to work on my magic hobby cum ministry.
Getting a new TV was a tough one to get as I could not find a CRT TV. Did not want to get a 2nd hand one and wanted a new one but I found out that they hardly sell them anymore and the only ones I could find were display units. So I ended up getting an LCD TV. Salesperson was wee bit disappointed with me as I told her .... the cheapest one please and that is my final word. LOL. $300 ++ is a pretty good price.

4. A USB charger (for my itouch)

5. A bluetooth external speaker (cheapest one again) for my car as NZ has finally passed the law banning use of mobiles while driving. At first I did not think I would need one but I have noticed that of late I get a lot of calls when I am driving.

6. Was keen on a $97 samsung camera but was sold out as I did not do what most Kiwis would do. Wait in line early for the shop to open and then charge in! Not sure I want to do that. Maybe next year ... Though I did bring my mum early (first in line) for a Boxing day sale (shoes)

But it was also a mixed experience for me as this year it was pretty exhausting for me. My fault I guess as I pushed hard for a number of church based activities (which I am so pleased had so much enthusiastic support from my church members) - our games nights, outreach BBQ, carrolling etc ... and the fact that due to the holiday season I felt it unfair to ask others to take the pulpit so I had (and still have) a heavier pulpit schedule. Also so many unexpected emergencies ... It does get tiring to be on holiday and yet have a lot of work to do. Crazy juggling!

Today I am back at work to focus on some preparation for our watchnight service and my next Sunday sermon, plus handle a number of administrative and pastoral matters. AND interestingly, it feels good to be in the office! Too many distractions at home and snatching an hour or so every how and then to check my e-mail, call someone, make some notes etc is not the best way to work.

Okay back to work ...

Comments

  1. do you have a credit card with points? use it to pay bills or buy things you already have the cash for. pay your credit card bills on time and in full, and it is like a plastic wallet. if you get points or cash rewards, then you'll feel good too! i got my cameras from my credit card points!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My credit card is the most basic one. I use it for emergencies and for certain online purchases - and lately to pay certain bills.
    That is an idea I have considered but I am not ready for it. I don't want my card to be a source of unnecessary temptation.... my credit card company must be disappointed in me as I applied to lower my credit limit and after every purchase, immediately transfer money to my credit card account. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aiyoh, just pay once at the end of the month! same thing-lah! hahaha, it's funny to think that you would be ttempted in this area! if you think of a credit card as a debit card, then you won't be tempted. actually, i think a credit card lowers temptation for me because if i have cash in my wallet, i'm more tempted to spend because i don't see how much i've spent by the end of the month. with a credit card statement, you have a very clear idea of how much you've spent! so i carry very little cash with me. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Z

    I am careful with my spending but I still think it is wise for me to put in checks ... not just in financial matters but for as many things in my life as possible.

    This is what the ancient Jews did. I believe that Jesus' rebuke of the Pharisees is for the way their checks became "laws". I think the principle behind their thinking makes sense as long as it is a personal matter, is helpful and it brings joy (not take away joy) :-)

    Also it does help in my vocation for a few reasons ... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings