A to Z regular blessings - the letter J

J

Jennifer. My wife. We will be married 19 years in a week's time. Long time and lots of ups and downs as in all normal and healthy marriages but most significantly, still going stronger and stronger! :-) Won't say anymore lest I embarrass her but it is great to be married to Jennifer!

Jokes. Ah ... a great life line for me. Jokes (good ones that is) lightens my mood, brings relief to a tense situation, breaks the ice in a conversation and is often good for a sermon illustration. And that was a list just off the top of my head! I can't imagine what my life would be like without humour.

A related story ... One of my favourite posters of Jesus is one that was drawn by a Jesuit Priest from the Phillipines. (I gave it away to someone who needed it more at a tough period in his life than I so I do not have it anymore. I do miss it!) This priest works among the poor and I bought it from the Daughters of St. Paul shop that is located along Jalan Gasing. I went back many times alter but it is not sold anymore. I should have taken a picture of it but that was before digital cameras and I foolishly assumed that I could easily get another one! :-(

Anyway it is a marvelous painting of Jesus wearing blue jeans and a T-short sitting down and playing a guitar. This painting / picture has Jesus smiling / laughing as he is playing the guitar. I loved it so much I bought it and had it framed and hung it directly opposite my bed. I would wake up each morning and one of the first things I would see is that picture....

Jerusalem / Jericho. This may seem strange but when i got the chance to got to Israel (courtesy of my mum's generosity in using her annual bonus one year to pay for my ticket), I brought back two posters of a panoramic photo shot of Jerusalem and Jericho. I got it framed up (poster board) and it is hanging above the door frames of my house. So I see one city when I exit my house and the other one when I exit my living room. I am not a dispensationalist so for me it does not hold the same significance to a traditional dispensationalists. But it is a blessing to me because it reminds me of my connection with a culture and people and land, and history etc that is bigger than my little circle of life. On my wall too is a beautiful woven banner from Isreal that has the Numbers 6 Araoronic blessing (thanks again to my mum for this!) and on a side table is my little ram's horn (the real Israelite shofar to me as this is from an animal indigenous to Israel)
and a little plastic menorah (almost kitschy but not yet :-)). All reminders of a great time of blessing and learning that opened my eyes to so many things spiritual.

Comments

  1. you need a "like" button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z, sorry not sure what is a "like" button ... care to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, it's on facebook. after a status or post, there are buttons where you can press either to "comment" or merely to "like" (you can unlike later). i usually press "like" if i agree or actually like the statement or post but have nothing interesting to say.

    so, instead of writing "congratulations," or "great," or "nice," all of which are banal, i just press the "like" button!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intwernet archeologist finds friendster (The Onion)

Ramblings on an active,full, and tiring two weeks but restful rather than "busy" two weeks

My 60th birthday wish and ramblings